Children and Youth Neurorehabilitation
The Institut Guttmann’s Children and Youth Rehabilitation Unit attends patients aged 0 to 16 years old with functional sequelae, being physical, cognitive and behavioral or neurological, resulting from diseases or neurological injuries, whether congenital or acquired, such as infantile cerebral palsy, neurodegenerative diseases, epilepsy, muscle-skeletal disorders, spinal cord, myelomeningocele, rare diseases, brain injury caused by vascular accident, traumatism, tumor, or after surgical ...
The Institut Guttmann's Pediatric Neurorehabilitation Unit counts on the experience of its own professionals besides different Pediatrics pecialists from Hospital Universitari Germans Trias i Pujol, one of the best in Catalonia, with Institut Guttmann has established a cooperation agreement for the development of this reference pediatric service of Neurorehabilitation in Catalonia.
Main functions of the Institut Guttmann, and specifically of its Pediatric Rehabilitation Unit are:
- Specialized medical, surgical and rehabilitation treatment.
- Restoring lost functionality, minimizing secondary injury deficits, and help to gain maximum functional autonomy, quality of life, psychomotor and educational development according to age.
- Clinical monitoring during childhood and youth, to control the evolution of disability and to prevent possible complications arising from neurological injuries.
- Specialized treatment of complications inherent to disabilities (neuropediatrics, neurorthopaedics, neurourology, neuropsychology, cognitive stimulation, monitoring education, introduction to the sport and orthoprosthesis prescription and technical assistance ...).
- Attention, diagnosis and neuropsychological treatment of psychomotor disorders, and learning difficulties.
- Health education, information, advice and customized support in all aspects that promote health, independence, quality of life, as well as standardization and social inclusion of children, adolescents and young adults with disabilities.
- Research and teaching.
- Prevention, dissemination and public awareness.
- Expert advice and support to other health and social services in the different healthcare networks.
The Pediatric Neurorehabilitation Unit’s Services Portfolio, include, among others:
Medica-Surgical treatment and comprehensive, specialized and intensive rehabilitation, since the initial phase of the injury or first symptoms appearence, until the full completion of the neurorehabilitation process. Action, that depending of each case, can lead to the hospitalization at an early stage and then an outpatient care, or an outpatient basis throughout the whole process.
Functional rehabilitation after school.It is done on a schedule compatible with the children's schooling (17 to 19pm daily) to ensure the benefit of the studies, and providing standardization, better inclusion and social integration.
Rehabilitation of higher functions (cognitive stimulation). Directed to provide and train alternative strategies to compensate for the cognitive deficits (language, attention, visual perception, memory, executive functioning), but also behavioral and emotional deficits consequence of brain damage.
Comprehensive specialized evaluation, which can take place on an inpatient on outpatient basis. The aim is to assess those aspects that can benefit from specialized treatment, preventive measures of complications, evaluation of technical assistance, early detection of complications arising from disabilities, advice and guidance on future needs for families.
Other specialized programs:
- Medical and surgical treatment of spasticity (physiotherapy, medication, botulinum toxin, implementing continuous intrathecal baclofen pumps infusion...).
- Orthopedic specialized surgery, quadriplegic hand, tendinous transpositions to gain functionality, multilevel surgery ...
- Gait analysis and intensive rehabilitation, with or without noninvasive brain stimulation.
- Study, medical-surgical treatment and rehabilitation of neurogenic bladder.
- Dysphagia treatment and neuropathic bowell.
- Sensory stimulation program (Snoezelen) and music therapy.